background

Thursday, January 14, 2010

New Years according to my pastor

Last week my pastor gave us this quote (I don't remember who its by):

"New Year's day is the religious holiday of self salvation- resolving to fix what is wrong in our lives ourselves."

Its a pretty good point. I have felt almost overwhelmed with new year's posts on blogs since the end of December. I mean, I have enjoyed them alot, don't get me wrong. But they made me feel like I needed to have my goals all laid out and ready to post. I needed to have a game plan.

But I didn't (and don't) have one. I have been mulling over my goals for this year since Christmas, brainstorming and trying to pinpoint what I really want to focus on. It's tough work setting goals which are "SMART" (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely)! And this quote made me dial in on why I am having such a hard time with this... I have been putting off really sitting down in prayer over what the Lord wants me to "resolve" to do this year. Instead, I have been thinking about what I may want. Me.

So goals are a coming people, I am that kind of a person. But let us all keep in mind that these are not things to "fix" about myself. These goals will not save me, they will not met my every need or make my life perfect. They will simply help me focus on the God given priorities in my life instead of all the other things I so easily get distracted by!

What about you, did you make any goals or resolutions? How are they going?

1 comment:

  1. i did make goals, and they are mostly going well! i don't normally do it, but with the blog i decided that it would be easier for me to lay everything out and be held accountable. good luck w/coming up with yours!

    ReplyDelete