background

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ouch!!

I am currently reading "The 7 habits of highly effective families" by Stephen Covey. I sooo highly recommend it, and I am only on habit 3. Anyhow, I wanted to share with you something that super convicted me as I read recently. It is a definition, or clarification, of what a certain common word we all use means.

"Rationalize (creating rational lies)"

It wasn't even his main point, but those few words in parenthesis really pierced my heart as I read. I rationalize all kinds of things. And I had never thought of the definition of that word quite like that. I usually just use the word meaning I am making excuses or giving reasons for me to feel better about something, which both of these definitions work of course. But something about reading and having to face the truth that ultimately when I rationalize something I am just creating lies that seem rational in my mind. I am lying to myself and others to make me feel better about how I am dropping the ball. Ouch!

1 comment:

  1. i've heard that...but it's definitely something i need to remember more often!

    ReplyDelete