background

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

spending some time in the kitchen

This past weekend I spent some time in my kitchen. Quite a bit of time actually. 3 and 1/2 hours to be exact. Why? I was attempting some 'bulk' cooking on my own.

I have been following onceamonthmom's blog for about a year. I own two freezer cooking style cookbooks. Basically I have been very interested in doing once a month cooking for awhile, but I have not taken the leap. Why? Well for one thing, most of the recipes I find are all casserole-ish meals, which we eat some of but not a ton. For another thing, most of the recipes are not the most healthy/low fat either. And I also have very limited freezer space (just the space above the fridge). My friend Cheye and I even met to discuss doing freezer cooking together, but we just haven't found the time yet.

But what I have taken the leap into is moneysavingmom's "baking days". Well kinda. The concept I guess. I have discovered for me cooking a bunch of chicken and browning a bunch of meat at one time saves me lots of time down the road. This weekend I decided to take the plunge and bake some whole wheat waffles in bulk too. That way we have a healthy go-to breakfast that takes no time at all!

So how do I stand being in the kitchen for that long all by myself?

My macbook of course! I bring my laptop in and put in one of my fav movies and turn it way up. It makes the time fly by. Anyhow, here are the fruits of my labor this weekend:

enough cube chicken for 6 meals

12 whole wheat waffles



All in all I think it was a very productive 3 & 1/2 hours, and I even got to "watch" one of my favorite movies! This is definitely something I am going to try to do more of.

Do any of you do bulk cooking?? Do share!

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud! Those waffles look yummy. I'm up for tag teaming next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job! i have done some bulk and freeze things, like chicken stock...and buttercream and pie crusts ;) but our freezer is always overflowing anyway b/c I always buy our sandwich bread and chicken breasts in bulk and freeze them. i'm begging patrick for an extra freezer to keep in the garage!

    ReplyDelete