background

Thursday, December 17, 2009

FIR Update

I am making some changes to my FIR List, because there are just some books I don't feel like reading right now, some that I am reading for bible studies, and some others that I really want to read. It's my list and I can change it if I want too (name that song!)! So as we are nearing the end of the "Fall Into Reading Challenge", I want to update my list so I can keep up with how I did overall. Here is my final goal list:

1. Hundred Dollar Christmas - I saw this recommended on a blog recently and my curiosity was peaked. It is a short book about one families experiences during the holidays once they set a $100 budget.









2. Treasuring our Traditions- I wanted to read this last year, but never got around to it. She talks about celebrating traditions as a family all year, and then also on the Holidays.













3. The Fuel and the Flame- This is one of my favorite books! I am rereading it again with my dgroup this semester, and it is a great reminder to stay passionate about my Lord.










4. TruFaced- Our high school youth small group is going through this right now, and boy is it amazing. Mr.Pate read this book in a counseling class at seminary and loved what it taught. This book focuses on living in community and dealing with sin. It teaches against putting on masks and hiding from God and each other, and it encourages learning to live in God's grace. It encourages knowing that we cant work on our sin and then come to God, instead we must just come as we are to God and work with Him on our sin. You will hear more later on this one, but so far i highly recommend it!






5.Julie & Julia by Julie Powell: This is the book that the recent movie Julie and Julia is based on. I have started it and can tell you it is way different than the movie and pretty crude at parts, but overall I am liking the point.








6.The Duggars: 20 and Counting! by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar:This is a book the Duggars wrote to share their family philosophies and everyday habits etc. I dont have cable, so I dont watch the show but I am intrigued.








7. Teach them Diligently by Lou Priolo: Saw this book on Lindsey at Passionate Homemaking's booklist and wanted to read it for myself. I think it will be helpful for when I have kids but also now with my sunday school class etc.









8. Instructing a Child's Heart by Tedd and Margy Tripp: mr.pate and I took a class based on one of Tripp's other books and loved it. So if the library can get it on interlibrary loan then this one is in.











9. Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer: currently reading this book and totally loving it! it is a hard read, but so worth it. anyone who really wants to improve in how they love the people around them, i would suggest this book!










10. The Giver by Lois Lowry: My childhood favorite, I figured it was a good time to revisit it!










This season of reading has been full of learning and encouragement, and I have enjoyed it a ton! What have you been reading??

No comments:

Post a Comment