background

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Week: Day 3... Hundred Dollar Holiday

Hundred Dollar Holiday- My Take On It

I heard about this book on another blog that was making recommendations of books to read this Christmas. This one immediately sparked my interest. What does this $100 holiday look like? I am totally in! The book was not what I expected, but overall I enjoyed it.

What I liked about the book:
  • It was short and well organized. There were only 3 chapters, so it was easy to know the overall point of each chapter you were reading.
  • It gives a detailed description of the history of how the Christmas celebration came to be and how it evolved into what we all know it as today.
  • You get a very honest look at what Christmas has become.
  • It was a good way to refocus during the holidays.
  • He emphasized homemade gifts and gifts of time, which I thought was a good reminder to get creative.
Things that annoyed me about the book:
  • I thought he would share more about how his family actually celebrates the holiday with only $100, the boundaries they have setup etc. But he didn't and I was disappointed! He basically ignored giving any detail of how they do this. I can see that he doesn't want it to be a "formula" that people follow so he didn't want to give a five step plan or anything. But some of an example would have been nice.
  • He gives way more info about the history than he does about celebrating the holiday for only $100. Maybe he should think about a name change?
I would recommend the book. I thought it was interesting overall and it was a neat perspective to read during the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment