background

Friday, March 18, 2011

I Passed

I had my Gestational Diabetes screening yesterday and I passed! That means that my bloodwork does not show that my blood sugar is high and I do not need to do further testing.

I was a little conflicted on if I was worried about it or not. On the one hand, I struggle with insulin resistance so I was higher risk for it. On the other hand, I take medicine to help my blood regulate my blood sugar, workout regularly and eat pretty well. All of these would put me at a lower risk. So I didn't really know what to expect. Anyhow, glad it's not something I have to deal with. My sister had GD with my 2n niece and had to eat a crazy diet because of it.

So what was it like? I had hear the stuff you drink is just nasty, so I was preparing to gag. But mine just tasted like orange soda. It had a burn to the aftertaste, but I think orange soda has that too.

My dr office just told me to have a light breakfast that was low in carbs/sugars and to not eat 2 hours before. Some places make you fast from midnight until the test. Anyhow, they gave me the drink and made me drink it all
In five minutes and then they started a timer for an hour. Some places give the drink to you and have you drink it at home. So I sat in the lab for an hour and read. Then, after the hour they draw your blood. That's all.

For those of you who have done this before, was this what yours was like? Share so those who haven't done it yet can be prepared!!


- Mrs.Pate via my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Sabrina, mine wasn't bad at all. They gave me the drink to take home with me and I didn't really have to fast at all. I had to wait at least two hours after a meal, drink it within five minutes, and make sure I had my blood taken within the hour. I took it to school with me and drank it right before dismissal, then went straight to the dr after school. When I checked in I told them that I needed to have my blood taken by whatever time and that was it! Oh, and I didn't think the drink tasted too bad. It reminded me of a melted orange popsicle. Kinda strong, but not unbearable.

    Good news on your test!!

    ReplyDelete