background

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bookin' It in 2010-- A Late Check In


Well, here is the deal. In January, I joined with FishMama to "Book It" in 2010. I committed to reading 2 books a month this year. I succeed my first month and by February I had completed 2 books. But since then my reading has practically been nonexistent! I have read a little of both of the books I am currently reading, but I just cant get going. 

So what am I going to do? I need a kickstart. So I am going to put Real Sex aside for now, and read something lighter. I need the momentum that finishing a book quickly can give me. And I just need something that doesnt take lots of brain power! I have realized that I should not have began two intense books at once. So my priority is to continue in reading 7 Habits with Mr.Pate (we haven't done so hot lately) and pick up something fluffier for just me. 

What was the last book you read? Was it any good?

6 comments:

  1. Hey I just finished reading Beth Moore's "So Long Insecurity." It was good, but definitely not my favorite Beth Moore read. Now I am about halfway through John MacArthur's "Ashamed of the Gospel: When the Church Becomes Like the World"...now that's a good book. Definitely not a light read, but it is a challenge! God has definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things through this book, and I've only had it a week! It's hard for me to read while I'm in school, but I just have to read to escape from everything else :-) The next book I am going to read is a book on spiritual warfare that the IMB has encouraged us to read before heading to Turkey. I'm not really looking forward to that one, mostly because I want something lighter, but I'm sure it will be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished my life in France, starting " get happy" a Judy garland bio, I'm very into memoirs/bios for my "fluff" reading now. I'll try to bring a bag of books for you to look through to your pc party Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  3. woo hoo a bag of books sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're into fiction... One of the best books I've read lately is Peace Like A River by Leif Enger. It is not the happiest book ever, but it's a great read. I also recommend Fireflies in December by Jennifer Valent. It is also not the happiest book, but it is a pretty quick read. I sacrificed sleep to finish it.

    And on the non-fiction side... The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs is interesting. He sets out to live out the commands in the Bible as literally as possible with help from an ecumenical team of religious leaders.

    I've had a hard time reading in this season too. Mostly because I feel like there are so many other things to do. What I need to do is just set aside a consistent time daily to read. I'm a pretty fast reader and would get through a lot if I would just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Last Song is good...but a tear jerker. I refuse to go see the movie any time soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. Fiction, told from the point of view of a child...VERY GOOD

    ReplyDelete