background

Monday, September 21, 2009

Menu Plan Monday 9/21-9/27


Well its time again to share what we will be eating around here this week. But first a few words about meal planning in general.

I have done menu planning basically since I got married in 2006 and mr.pate bought me a magnetic pad that had the days of the week listed on it. For me I find that if I don't plan, i don't cook. I am not a "cook" or "chef" by any means- meaning I cannot just throw something together. The thought of doing that terrifies me! I am a recipe follower. So if I have not already taken the meat out to thaw or bought all the essential ingredients or calculated how long the meal will take to cook, then chances are I will be throwing in the towel and begging mr.pate to take me out instead! So it saves us money, time and improves our health for me to menu plan. There are times I am better about this and times when I get lazy. This past month I have been very intentional about it and "planning for what I have" (more on that later) and it has majorly showed. We have only eaten out on Sundays, when we are traveling, and once due to planning failure. I have come in almost $30 or $40 under budget for the month in groceries and we haven't gone over in eat out money (which we usually do). So let this be a testimony to those of you who dont meal plan but are trying to save money or eat out less, meal planning might just be your answer!

Now on to the plan!
(Recipes are either linked or typed out below)

Breakfasts
cereal, green smoothies (never made them last week!), mocha chip muffins

Lunch
bagel sandwiches, fruit, yogurt, pretzels etc

Dinner

Monday- One dish chicken bake & green beans

Tuesday- Pot Roast w/ potatoes and carrots

Wednesday- Dinner at Dustin's and Church (I have a job interview Wednesday night- pray)

Thursday- Skillet Lasagna

Friday- Leftovers or Steaks on grill (I will be out of town, so whatever he decides)

Saturday- Same as Friday

Sunday- Out to eat at Peppers!

One Dish Chicken Bake

1 pkg Stovetop whole wheat stuffing mix

4 chicken breasts

1 can cream of mushroom soup, 98% fat free

1/3 cup sour cream (I use fat free)


1. Preheat oven to 375ยบ.

2. Stir stuffing crumbs and 1 ½ C hot water, just until moistened and set aside.

3. Place chicken in a 2 qt baking dish that has been sprayed.

4. Mix soup and sour cream; pour over chicken and top with stuffing.

5. Bake for 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Makes 4 servings.


Pot Roast

1 roast (take your pick)

2 packet McCormick’s Savory Pot Roast seasoning

1 cup chopped carrots

2 baking potatoes cut up

1 cup diced celery


1. Mix seasoning according to directions and pour into crock-pot.

2. Add roast.

3. Chop all veggies and add to crock-pot.

4. Cook on low 8-10 hours.


Skillet Lasagna

oil

3 garlic cloves, minced (i leave this out)

1 lb ground turkey breast

salt and pepper

8 lasagna noodles, each broken into 4 pieces

1 (26 oz) jar tomato sauce

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella

3/4 cup ricotta


1. Warm oil in a 12” skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.

2. Add turkey, salt and pepper and cook until no pink left.

3. Scatter lasagna noodles over turkey.

4. Pour tomato sauce and 2 cups water on top of noodles, bring to a simmer.
5. Then reduce heat to low, cover and cook at a low boil until noodles are tender, about 20-22 minutes stirring occasionally.
6. Sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella onto the mixture and stir to combine.
7. Remove pan from heat and spoon heaping tablespoonfuls of ricotta on top of lasagna.

8. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella, cover and let stand for 4 to 5 minutes.



Head over to Org Junkie to see what everyone else is having!

1 comment:

  1. everything sounds great--and i will be praying for the job interview!

    ReplyDelete