background

Monday, September 21, 2009

The F-I-R List


I have discovered that I want to read like every book imaginable and that I have a hard time picking and sticking to certain ones. Regardless, making and posting the list really has helped my read more (i have finished 4 whole books from my book list and am working on 2 others!) so I will continue on. So without further ado, here are the books I think I will be reading this fall in no particular order:


Julie & Julia by Julie Powell: This is the book that the recent movie Julie and Julia is based on. I have started it and can tell you it is way different than the movie and pretty crude at parts, but overall I am liking the point.






The Duggars: 20 and Counting! by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar: This is a book the Duggars wrote to share their family philosophies and everyday habits etc. I dont have cable, so I dont watch the show but I am intrigued.





On Becoming Babywise by Gary Ezzo: This is a book about one method for training your child to sleep etc. I am not pregnant but want to be prepared for one day.








Teach them Diligently by Lou Priolo: Saw this book on Lindsey at Passionate Homemaking's booklist and wanted to read it for myself. I think it will be helpful for when I have kids but also now with my sunday school class etc.






The Journals of Jim Elliot by Elisabeth Elliot: We have this sitting on our book shelf and I have never read it. But I have read several of her books where she shares about him and I think it will be challenging and enjoyable.





Instructing a Child's Heart by Tedd and Margy Tripp: mr.pate and I took a class based on one of Tripp's other books and loved it. So if the library can get it on interlibrary loan then this one is in.









Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis: The Christian classic about what our faith is all about. I have attempted this book a few times and gave up because he is hard to read. This time I am older and more determined I think.








Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer: currently reading this book and totally loving it! it is a hard read, but so worth it. anyone who really wants to improve in how they love the people around them, i would suggest this book!








The Giver by Lois Lowry: My childhood favorite, I figured it was a good time to revisit it!








Time to get busy! Head over to Callapidder Days to see what everyone else is reading! If you have a blog, join in. And if you dont have a blog, post your lists in the comments section on this post!! Let me see what you are reading friends....




9 comments:

  1. #1 - I should have put Julie&Julia on my list. Have you seen the movie yet? I haven't, but will wait for it to come out on dvd.

    #2 - I was also intrigued by the Duggars and watched their show one time. Just once. Didn't like it and thought they were weird. Maybe their book will be better. Let me know.

    #3 - Want to read Babywise, but it is not good for my spiritual health to read baby books right now : ( Cannot wait to be able to start reading them again...

    #4 - I like all of your books on instructing children. Let me know which ones you really like. They intrigue me as a teacher and as a (hopefully) future momma.

    #5 - I LOVE The Giver. I almost put Gathering Blue on my list, supposedly the sequel.

    #6 - I really enjoyed Mere Christianity. It was a hard read, and I do want to go back and reread now that I am at a different place in my life.

    I hope you write reviews! Can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you are trying Mere Christianity again. I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird right now because I was forced to read it in high school and didn't enjoy it at all. Sometimes it's good to go back and try books again when you're older and have a better appreciation and understanding for them. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a great list! i don't have a ton more of these, but i need to let you look at my shelves, i will become your personal library ;) glad you're making so much progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fantastic list, Sabrina! I've read another book by Bonhoeffer that was the same way -- a bit hard to read, but so rewarding and worth it. I'll have to check out Life Together.

    Thanks for being part of FIR '09!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently listening to The Giver and I am hooked!!! Can't turn it off (I'm listening to it but I am going to have to buy a copy).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Came by your blog off of the main Mr. Linky list. Looks like you have an awesome selection to work through. I too am reading the Babywise books. I've heard really great things about them.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a great list - enjoy the challenge. And... your blog header is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Julie and Julia on hold at the library. I'm hoping it dosen't curl my hair too badly! ;v)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sabrina,
    Welcome to `Fall Into Reading`
    This is my second time, I think.
    I didn't do it last Spring.
    This time I decided to become a book reviewer.
    What was I thinking!?
    Anyhoo,
    I like your list of books.
    enjoy!!
    Joyful

    Please visit me @:
    http://apudiem.com/

    ReplyDelete