background

Friday, August 12, 2011

How it went

So the feeding evaluation went well yesterday. They weighed Griffin to begin, so we would know how much he transferred, and he weighed 9 lb 10 oz! Yep, he had gained 7 oz in three days exclusively nursing. So they immediately encouraged me that he was obviously getting enough.

At first Griffin latched on and stayed for 7 minutes without crying! Really Kid? You haven't done that in over a week! I was worried that I wouldn't get any help. They weighed him and he had transferred 28 ml in those 7 min. We decided to switch sides and he latched for 2 min then screamed like crazy. They weighed him and he had gotten 10 ml in 2 minutes.

After they watched for awhile, they determined that my flow is probably too strong for him. He is coming off and screaming because the milk comes on too strong, and I have been trying to force long feedings to make sure he gets enough when really he gets plenty!

So they suggested I use the side lying position, and positions that put him in a vertical position. They gave me a few other tips and lots of encouragement. I needed it!

Since then our nursing sessions have gone pretty well. Praise the Lord! I am so glad to not have to hear my boy screaming in discomfort! Hopefully things will just continue to get better. As for now, my man is enjoying some milk induced comas...




No comments:

Post a Comment