background

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Teach them Diligently... My take on it

Well this was the 2nd book that came in on inter-library loan for me. I wasn't able to finish it in time, mainly because it took so long to force myself through "Instructing a Child's Heart"! And I was bummed too, because I definitley liked this book so much better than that one. But nonetheless, here is my take on it:

Things I liked about the book:
  • It was very scripture focused.
  • It was practical, and had plenty of examples.
  • I liked the way it was organized. It had chapters like "using the scriptures for correcting, using the scriptures for training, and using the scriptures for conviction", which made it very easy to follow.
  • I liked his style of writing. I felt like he was a friend just explaining how he uses the Scriptures to parent.
Things that annoyed me about the book:
  • He used the word "milieu" all the time, which apparently means: the physical or social setting in which something occurs or develops. Vague right? It was just hard to understand what he was trying to say when he used it constantly. I think the point was using the Scriptures to define our everyday life, but why not just say that? That's it, the only thing that annoyed me.
I would highly recommend this book. I plan on purchasing it and completing it sometime soon. I think it would be very helpful for parents of pre-schoolers on and people who work with that age group in other settings (like sunday school or daycare). but that's just my take on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment