background

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Instructing a Child’s Heart… My take on it

I bet you thought I gave up reading now that I have a job and all? Nope! I am still going strong slowly but surely. The library just happened to get both of the books I requested on Inter-Library loan at the same time, which meant I was forced to read them stat! (You can not extend Inter-library loans, so you pretty much have to read them fast) The one that was due back first, therefore the one I read first, was "Instructing a Child's heart" by Tedd and Margy Tripp. Tedd Tripp wrote "Shepherding a Child's Heart" also. So here is my take:

Things I liked about the book:

  • The overall premise is that we need to correct a child's heart not simply their behavior. I fully agree with this.
  • The last half of the book is more practical and walks you through what this may look like in everyday life.
  • It focuses a lot on the why of correcting a child… and on how we need to be careful not to correct children just because we don't want to be judged by their behavior. This is a ministry, caring for children, and we need to remember what the goal is.

Things that annoyed me about this book:

  • I am not sure why, but I just don't like their writing style. It just comes across as so drab and dull. It took a lot for me to keep reading.
  • The first several chapters say the same thing over and over and over! I hate when books do that! If you are going to read it, just read chapter 1 and then skip to chapter 4 or something.
  • Still not enough examples of how to do this in everyday life. Since this is not a parenting style you see often, I feel like I need more examples to see how it would really play out.

Overall, I only moderately liked this book. Again, I really like and agree with the teaching they are putting forth, but they just put it forth so boringly! If you are going to be a parent soon, or you are a parent of a young child I would recommend reading it, even though it's boring, just for the teaching value of it.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this one yet, but I think I agree on the writing style based on the first one. And AMEN on giving some more concrete examples...I need them ASAP!!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one. I'll have to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete