background

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Baby Food Makin Take 1




The first baby foods I made for Griff were Sweet Potatoes and Acorn Squash. They were super easy and he loved them! These instructions will work for sweet potatoes and butternut or acorn squash.

First you need to preheat the oven to 375. Then you need to wash & dry then stab the sweet potatoes with a fork. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet. Cut the squash in half and get rid of any seeds. Then place the squash flesh face down in a pan and fill it with about an inch of water. Bake veggies until fork tender, about 45 min to an hour (really depends on the size though).
Once they are done and cooled, remove the skin and quickly dice/mash up the flesh. Then place it in a blender/food processor/baby food maker and add some water. I almost had to add equal parts water and veggie, just FYI. Blend until you get it to desired consistency.



Pour the finished veggie into ice cube trays and freeze. Usually, each ice cube is a tad under an oz, and most jars of baby food are 2 oz. Just for reference.



Once they are frozen, pop the ice cubes out and throw them all in a freezer bag and label. Now you can pull cubes out as needed!

It really is super easy and way cheaper! I got a bag of sweet potatoes for about $3, and made about three weeks worth of food! I acorn squash was $0.67 and I made 18 servings.

Most babyfood is $1 for two servings

And a disclaimer- all images taken from google images. If I were a great blogger, I would have taken pictures of my process... But I am not.

- Mrs.Pate via my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment